Definition of Ponca in English:
noun (plural same or Poncas)
1A member of a Siouan people formerly inhabiting northern Nebraska and southern South Dakota.
- The ‘escaped’ Poncas were arrested and destined for a forced return to Oklahoma until sympathizers initiated litigation aimed at freeing them.
- The Sioux made annual raids on the Ponca until the enforced removal of the tribe to Indian Territory took place in 1877.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to the Ponca or their language.
- After being removed to Indian Territory in Oklahoma in 1877, a group of Ponca Indians led by Standing Bear sought to return to their homelands in northern Nebraska.
- Sue Carlisle, a member of the Ponca tribe, spent much of her youth on the Wind River Reservation in Wyoming.
- Sue Carlisle is an enrolled member of the Ponca tribe and now lives with her husband in Toronto, Ontario.