- A set of formal descriptions that provide a standard for the design of operating systems, especially ones that are compatible with Unix.More example sentences
- If the community can sort out some issues between Linux and Posix, the user community may choose to adopt those interfaces, but they will vote with their feet not in a consortium.
- QNX is also Posix compliant, so there is lots of software that almost works under it.
- Carrier-grade features to be added include support for Posix compliant threading, diskless blade systems, improved systems responsiveness, and advanced debugging and systems analysis.
1980s: from the initial letters of portable operating system + -ix suggested by Unix.
More definitions of PosixDefinition of Posix in:
- The British & World English dictionary