- An order of large mammals that comprises the elephants and their extinct relatives. They are distinguished by the possession of a trunk and tusks.More example sentences
- The bones belong to an animal in the order Proboscidea - large mammals with trunks - the same order that includes living elephants.
- We now think that their resemblance to members of those groups is a result of convergent adaptation for eating ants, and that their real affinities lie with the Sirenia, Hyracoidea, and Proboscidea.
- A woolly mammoth is one of several types of mammoths in the genus Mammuthus within the order Proboscidea.
modern Latin (plural), from proboscis.
More definitions of ProboscideaDefinition of Proboscidea in:
- The British & World English dictionary