Definition of Prototheria in English:
A group of mammals that comprises the monotremes and their extinct relatives. Compare with Theria.
- Subclass Prototheria, class Mammalia
- They are often placed in a separate subclass from other mammals, Prototheria.
- Triconodonta were viewed as broadly ancestral to the extinct Docodonta and to living monotremes, collectively grouped (often with Multituberculata) as Prototheria.
- As noted, recognition of skull resemblances to monotremes and triconodonts led to later referral to ‘Prototheria,’ within a monophyletic Mammalia.
Definition of Prototheria in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan