Definition of Przewalski's horse in English:
A stocky wild Mongolian horse with a dun-colored coat and a dark brown erect mane, now extinct in the wild. It is the only true wild horse, and is the ancestor of the domestic horse.
- Equus ferus, family Equidae
- The one true wild horse Przewalski's horse is considered extinct in the wild by some, and at best is alive only through captive breeding programs.
- I had arrived to assist Mongolian and Dutch conservation groups with the reintroduction of endangered Przewalski's horses (Equus ferus przewalskii) to their native land.
- Plants and trees have sprung back to life, and rare species, such as lynx, Przewalski's horses, and eagle owls, are thriving where most humans fear to tread.
Late 19th century: named after Nikolai M. Przheval'sky (1839–88), Russian explorer.
Definition of Przewalski's horse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan