- An island in the Greater Antilles in the Caribbean Sea; population 3,966,200 (est. 2009); capital, San Juan. One of the earliest Spanish settlements in the New World, it was ceded to the US in 1898 after the Spanish-American War. In 1952 it became a commonwealth in voluntary association with the US with full powers of local government.
- More example sentences
- He seems to have a rich but confused fantasy life - he can't decide whether he's a Puerto Rican up from the streets, or an English Lord down from the castle.
- There were huge windows looking onto the beach, and a Puerto Rican pianist led a drummer and bassist through a collection of standards that the patrons completely ignored.
- I'm a Puerto Rican and an American and I will carry both flags to the ring.
Pronunciation: /ˈrēkən/adjective & noun
More definitions of Puerto RicoDefinition of Puerto Rico in:
- The British & World English dictionary