- A lesser Jewish festival held in spring (on the 14th or 15th day of Adar) to commemorate the defeat of Haman’s plot to massacre the Jews as recorded in the book of Esther.More example sentences
- Rabbi Shimon Ben Gamliel holds that we should commemorate Purim during the second Adar.
- This time they are not gas masks, but the traditional costumes celebrating the Jewish festival of Purim.
- I questioned when one of them gave the Arab drivers the presents we had received from Jewish drivers for Purim!
Hebrew, plural of pūr, explained in the book of Esther (3:7, 9:24) as meaning 'lot', with allusion to the casting of lots by Haman.
More definitions of PurimDefinition of Purim in:
- The British & World English dictionary