- (1911–2004), 40th president of the US 1981–89; full name Ronald Wilson Reagan. He was a movie actor before entering politics and then served as the governor of California 1967–74. A conservative Republican, his administration greatly increased defense spending, cut taxes and social services budgets, and saw a record rise in the national budget deficit. He signed an intermediate nuclear forces nonproliferation treaty in 1987. His reputation was tarnished by his involvement in the Iran-Contra affair.
- More example sentences
- I'm a baby boomer myself, although I'm 10 years younger than the vanguard leaders of the 60's, and I certainly understood the tremendous frustration that we felt as Reaganism exploded across the 80's.
- Reagan was a modern exception - the product, no doubt, of his own roots as a Truman Democrat - but this aspect of Reaganism was largely abandoned by Republicans after 1989.
- But I think even today conservatives take heart from Reaganism and from his forward looking conservativism very different from the conservativism of the past.
More definitions of Reagan, RonaldDefinition of Reagan, Ronald in:
- The British & World English dictionary