- 1 • trademark A make of firearm.More example sentences
- It resembles many of the English revolvers more closely than the Colts and Remingtons.
- Today, shooting condition examples of original Springfields, Remingtons and Sharps are not uncommon on the antique gun market, plus newly manufactured Sharps, Remingtons, and Ballards are readily available.
- These current Remingtons are true to the original design except for the cylinder which is approximately one-eighth inch longer to accommodate many of the .45 Colt loads currently available.
- 2( • trademark in the UK) A typewriter, especially a large manual one formerly used in offices.More example sentences
- In 1897 he purchased a Remington typewriter so he could dictate his novels to a typist instead of writing them longhand.
- I bought myself a Remington Streamline Portable half a year ago, my first contact with a manual typewriter, and I couldn't be happier.
- Indeed, at the time when I began to work for him, he had reached a state at which the click of a Remington machine acted as a positive spur.
mid 19th century: named after Eliphalet Remington (1793–1861) and his son Philo (1816–89), gunsmiths of Ilion, New York, the original manufacturers.