Definition of Rwanda in English:
The area of Rwanda was part of German East Africa from 1894, passing to Belgian control after World War I. Rwanda became independent as a republic in 1962, shortly after the violent overthrow of the Tutsi monarchy by the majority Hutu people. In 1994 more than 500,000 people, largely Tutsis, were slaughtered by predominantly Hutu supporters of the government, and more than a million fled as refugees into the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighboring countries. The Tutsi-dominated Rwandan Patriotic Front took power as the new government
- Example sentences
- Though their search for Rwandans soldiers came up empty, U.N. peacekeepers say that there is circumstantial evidence that at some point, Rwandans forces were here.
- The game was finally restarted, with the result going the Rwandans' way (Mossi's juju keeping the ball from his team's net, despite the assault).
- In particular he claimed that whole units with equipment had been ‘recruited’ to strengthen the rebel forces now estimated by the Rwandans at about 10,000.
- Example sentences
- It's important not just for the Rwandese, but for all humanity.
- The commemoration should be used by the Rwandese as an occasion for the whole populace to unite and re-dedicate themselves to peaceful co-existence regardless of ethnic affiliation.
- A Rwandese lady, having discovered Sheila's nationality, felt sorry for Sheila coming from a land ravaged by war for almost 30 years.
Words that rhyme with RwandaAmanda, Aranda, Baganda, Banda, brander, candour (US candor), coriander, dander, expander, gander, germander, goosander, jacaranda, Leander, Luanda, Lysander, meander, memoranda, Menander, Miranda, oleander, panda, pander, pasanda, philander, propaganda, sander, Skanda, stander, Uganda, understander, Vanda, veranda, withstander, zander
Definition of Rwanda in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.