Definition of Samoyed in English:
1A member of a group of mainly nomadic peoples of northern Siberia, who traditionally live as reindeer herders.
- The Samoyed is Spitz-type which takes its name from the Siberian tribe of the Samoyeds.
- One myth - again judging from such peoples as the Samoyeds and Buryats - would seem to have been an earth-diver creation in which an animal is sent by the creator to find an earthly substance in the depths of the primal waters.
- Thousands of years ago the ancestors of both the present Finno-Ugrians and the Samoyeds lived together in their Uralic homeland.
3A dog of a white Arctic breed.
- For a white dog, the Samoyed stays amazingly clean, but an occasional bath is necessary.
- And as for the dogs, three different breeds compete in Scotland, and were in evidence at Aviemore: Siberian huskies, the lean sprinters; Samoyeds, large, white and fluffy; and Malamutes, the heavier freight dogs.
- The Samoyed is a snow dog and loves the outdoors.
Definition of Samoyed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia