- A member of any of the Turkish dynasties that ruled Asia Minor in the 11th to 13th centuries, successfully invading the Byzantine Empire and defending the Holy Land against the Crusaders.More example sentences
- Historians have traced its genealogy to the architecture found in Asia Minor under the rule of the Seljuks in the early centuries of the second millennium.
- Their victories against the Seljuks in Asia Minor brought them close to the Nicaean empire, and Vatazes was forced to return to Asia Minor.
- He also opposed the Khwarizmian Turks, who had succeeded the Seljuks in Asia Minor and who now were trying to make Nasir subject to them.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to the Seljuks.More example sentences
- The invasions of the Seljuk Turkish dynasty introduced the Turkish language and customs.
- In the 11th century the Seljuk Turks took large parts of Asia Minor and overran Anatolia, menacing Christian pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem.
- In the eleventh century, the Seljuk Turks conquered Asia Minor (modern Turkey), which had been Christian since the time of St. Paul.
from Turkish seljūq, the name of the reputed ancestor of the dynasty.
More definitions of SeljukDefinition of Seljuk in:
- The British & World English dictionary