Definition of Shango in English:
1A religious cult originating in western Nigeria and now practiced chiefly in parts of the Caribbean.
- Still, a small number of people (nine percent) follow the African-centered religions of Shango, Rada, Spiritual Baptist, Obeah, and Rastafari.
- Trinidadian Shango, which is part of the legacy of African traditional culture and religion, incorporates a mixture of Catholic rituals and elements of African spiritual beliefs.
1.1 (also Shangor) An African god of thunder significant to the Shango cult.
- At Botanica Papa Chango (named after the African Yoruba spirit-god Shango, God of Fire, Thunder, Lightning and Passions), no azogue is to be had.
- Each Orisha has its own character dance - the ferocious stomp of Shango the god of thunder; the sensuous, watery sway of Oshun, the divinity of love - and Acosta includes some of these dances in Tocororo.
- Some of his carved doors are remarkably similar to Yoruba panel doors in present-day Nigeria, and his carved tree stumps resemble Yoruba divination pieces to the deity Shango.
1950s: from Yoruba.
Definition of Shango in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan