(also Shi'a, Shiah)
Definition of Shia in English:
noun (plural same or Shias)
1One of the two main branches of Islam, followed especially in Iran, that rejects the first three Sunni caliphs and regards Ali, the fourth caliph, as Muhammad’s first true successor. Compare with Sunni.
- They are divided into two main groups, Shia and Sunni, with different interpretations of the religion.
- His father, Ali, met a similar fate 19 years earlier, and it was this latter deed that gave rise to the great fissure in Islam between Sunni and Shia.
- It will be drawn from Sunni and Shia, from secular and religious backgrounds, from trade unionists and women's organisations.
1.1A Muslim who adheres to the Shia branch of Islam.
- For Islam, Sunnis and Shi'as will also be considered as separate groups.
- Relations between Shias and Sunnis have been strained for much of Muslim history.
- He stressed that today there was an immediate need for unity between Shias and Sunnis.
early 17th century: from Arabic šīʿa 'party (of Ali)'.
Words that rhyme with ShiaAchaea, aliyah, Almería, Apia, Bahía, Caesarea, Cassiopeia, Chaldea, Cytherea, Euboea, foreseer, freer, galleria, gynaecea, Iphigenia, Kampuchea, kea, keyer, Latakia, Leah, Lucia, Nicaea, Nicosia, onomatopoeia, Oriya, osteria, Pangaea, Pantelleria, pharmacopoeia, pizzeria, ria, rupiah, sangría, seer, sharia, skier, spiraea (US spirea), Tanzania, taqueria, Tarpeia, Thea, trachea, trattoria, urea
Definition of Shia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan