Definition of Shinkansen in English:
noun (plural same)
1(In Japan) a railroad system carrying high-speed passenger trains.
- He said the Japanese proposed using the Nozomi-700-type vehicle used in Japan's Shinkansen bullet train system, but did not disclose any price offered by the Japanese.
- Past profiled engineering marvels include the world's longest suspension bridge, the Akashi Strait Bridge, and the Shinkansen, Japan's famous high-speed train.
- The high-speed train used on the Shinkansen, ‘new main line’, is leaving Japan this week for a 10,000-mile sea journey to Southampton.
1.1 (also shinkansen) A train operating on the Shinkansen railway system.
- On June 1, the group will travel on the famous Japanese bullet train - the Shinkansen - to Niigata for Ireland's game against Cameroon.
- If going by train, first go to the JR Himeji station, which is serviced by the Shinkansen (bullet train) from most major cities on Honsha.
- I hopped on the Shinkansen or bullet train, bound for Nagoya.
Japanese, from shin 'new' + kansen 'main line'.
Definition of Shinkansen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan