noun (plural same)
- another term for the Dakota people or their language. See Dakota2.More example sentences
- Before long the Sioux, who can't speak English, let alone French, finds himself fighting for survival on the streets of Marseille.
- I don't know if Congress included representatives of the Sioux in their deliberations when the legislation was discussed.
- North Dakota's mascot, by the way, is the fighting Sioux.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Sioux or their language.More example sentences
- American Indian of Sioux tribe, Billy Mills, won a race for the first time in his life.
- Yesterday, President Runningbear began talks with Apache and Sioux tribes in an effort to persuade other Native American nations to join the cause.
- Smith connects Sioux history with other Plains Indians' experience.
North American French, from Nadouessioux, from Ojibwa (Ottawa dialect) nātowēssiwak, by substitution of the French plural ending -x for the Ojibwa plural -ak.
More definitions of SiouxDefinition of Sioux in:
- The British & World English dictionary