An order of large aquatic plant-eating mammals that includes the manatees and dugong. They live chiefly in tropical coastal waters and are distinguished by paddlelike forelimbs and a tail flipper replacing hind limbs.
- Order Sirenia: two families and four living species
More example sentences
- Belonging to the order Sirenia, dugongs are believed to have given rise to the mermaid myth.
- Marine mammals are divided into three orders: Carnivora, Sirenia and Cetacea.
- Dugongs belong to the mammalian order Sirenia and are popularly known as sea-cows.
modern Latin (see siren).
More definitions of SireniaDefinition of Sirenia in:
- The British & World English dictionary