Definition of Sitka spruce in English:
A fast-growing spruce tree of the northern Pacific coast of North America, widely cultivated in Britain for its strong lightweight timber.
- Picea sitchensis, family Pinaceae
- The forests of the Pacific Northwest and northern California are known for giant ancient trees such as Sitka spruce and sequoia (redwoods).
- The Octopus Tree, an ancient Sitka spruce with massive branches that rise up around a low central trunk like the arms of a candelabra, is a five-minute walk from the parking lot.
- Forests of mostly Sitka and Norway spruce are felled.
Late 19th century: named after Sitka, a town in Alaska.
Definition of Sitka spruce in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan