(also slough of despond /ˈslou əv dəˈspänd/)
- A state of hopeless depression: while everyone is having a blast I am sinking into the Slough of DespondMore example sentences
- In terms of art - if we still believe in that with film, and I hope we do - the whole matter of doubt, second thoughts and variant versions leads us into the sloughs of despond and indifference.
- Tull's mother stops her wandering and drug abuse long enough to see her son through the worst of his adolescence and may or may not fall back into the slough of despond after her reunion with her estranged husband.
- The way out of my slough of despond, Striegel informed me in another telephone checkup, was to fundamentally change the way I thought about such goals.
the name of a deep boggy place in John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress between the City of Destruction and the gate at the beginning of Christian's journey.
More definitions of Slough of DespondDefinition of Slough of Despond in:
- The British & World English dictionary