Definition of Slovene in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Slovenia, or a person of Slovene descent.
- Just 78% believe they have a duty to protect nature, compared to 98% of Swedes, Danes, Slovenes and Germans.
- Some Slovenes opposed the National Assembly's 2001 decision to allow its waters to be used by nuclear-powered submarines and submarines with nuclear strike capabilities.
- Besides Slovene television programs, Slovenes can also watch Italian, Austrian, English, and American television shows, including news.
2The South Slavic language of the Slovenes.
- The official language of the republic, Slovene, is a Slavic language.
- In the border provinces, Italian, Slovene, Croatian, Hungarian, and Czech are also spoken.
- EU law will be amended in May to recognise a number of EU languages including Hungarian, Slovene and Maltes.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Slovenia, its people, or their language.
- It was only on the Adriatic coast, where the Italian minority which remained outside Italy was proving a nuisance, that any concessions were made to the Slovene languages.
- In 1550, is was the Protestants who published the first book in the Slovene language.
- These non-Slavic influences are reflected in the Slovene language, which is written in the Latin alphabet, while most Slavic languages use the Cyrillic alphabet.
Words that rhyme with Slovenehypersthene • olivine
Definition of Slovene in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.