Definition of Solomon's seal in English:
1A figure similar to the Star of David.
- Morocco's flag consists of a red field with a green five-pointed star - known as Solomon's seal - in its center.
- When the French took control in 1912, a five-pointed linear known as Solomon's seal was placed on the flag in order to distinguish the nation's flag from others.
2A widely distributed plant of the lily family, having arching stems that bear a double row of broad leaves with drooping flowers in their axils.
- Genus Polygonatum, family Liliaceae: many species, including P. biflorum, which has greenish-yellow paired flowers and is common in the woods of the eastern US
- A few members, such as Asparagus and Solomon's seal, have leaves attached along the stem.
- The forest has not been cut for 300 years, and I found myself surrounded by ground flora such as Solomon's seal, lily of the valley, yellow wood anemone, toothwort, asarabacca, herb paris and hepatica.
- ‘Companion’ plants that indicate a good site include Jack-in-the-pulpit, bloodroot, Solomon's seal, jewel weed, galax, trillium, wild yam, hepatica, black cohosh, and wild ginger.
Definition of Solomon's seal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.