- An industrial process for obtaining sodium carbonate from limestone, ammonia, and brine.More example sentences
- In the Solvay process, ammonia and carbon dioxide are used to produce sodium carbonate from salt and limestone.
- In the Solvay process, carbon dioxide and ammonia are passed into a concentrated solution of sodium chloride.
- Were it not for the recycling of ammonia, the Solvay process would be economically impractical.
late 19th century: named after Ernest Solvay (1838–1922), Belgian chemist.
More definitions of Solvay processDefinition of Solvay process in:
- The British & World English dictionary