noun (plural same or Somalis)
- 1A member of a mainly Muslim people of Somalia.More example sentences
- Unlike other Muslims, Somalis believe that both their religious and secular leaders have the power to bless and to curse people.
- In a metropolis which is 60 percent white, Somalis are not only African but Muslim as well, making them targets of racism and prejudice manifested in housing discrimination, hate crimes and police brutality.
- However, Somalis are not as traditionally religious as Muslims in many other cultures.
- 1.1The Cushitic language that is the official language of Somalia, also spoken in Djibouti and parts of Kenya and Ethiopia.More example sentences
- All Somalis speak Somali, the official language.
- It is home to people of different national origins whose first languages include Somali, Hindi, Urdu and Bengali.
- The desert-dwelling peoples of the Southeast speak dialects of Somali.
- 1.2A native or inhabitant of Somalia.More example sentences
- There are photographs of Iraqis, Kurds, Somalis and refugees from the former Soviet Union.
- The measure affected Afghans, Somalis and Chechens facing return to regions beset by civil wars or with no functioning government.
- It was part of a nationwide crackdown on the centers that Somalis use to send money home to family members.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to Somalia, the Somalis, or their language.More example sentences
- Despite his fluency in the Somali language and culture, Ibrahim considers himself thoroughly American.
- If Mo breaks through into the big time, a lot of doors will open for Somali people.
- And those same Somali students who streamed into the ESL program have also pushed up local school enrollment, which translates into increased federal and state funding.
- More example sentences
- I wouldn't have expected as many Hispanics or Hmong or Somalians.
- English classes are held three times a week for a group of nationalities that includes Somalians, Congolese, Turks and Iraqis.
- In Dadat camp, for example, several clutters of this nature have been put together, with the whole purpose of defending Somalian nationhood and identity.
Pronunciation: /-lēən/adjective & noun
the name in Somali.
More definitions of SomaliDefinition of Somali in:
- The British & World English dictionary