Definition of Sphenopsida in English:
A class of pteridophyte plants that comprises the horsetails and their extinct relatives.
- In the past, this group was thought to be ancestral to the Sphenopsida based on their overall structure and organization, but more recent studies show their internal anatomy was more like that of the ferns.
- By the early Mesozoic, these had apparently become extinct, with the rather scanty fossil record of Sphenopsida consisting by then mainly of casts and impressions of stems resembling those of modern Equisetum.
- In order to build up data infrastructure on the horology of Croatian vascular flora, the present data on the distribution of taxa from the class Sphenopsida were collected from literature and herbarium sources.
- Example sentences
- The remaining morphospecies are organs of cycads, ginkgophytes, lycopods, sphenopsids, and bryophytes.
- Both ferns and sphenopsids have members in the living flora, although their modern diversities are vastly different.
- The genus Hyenia was a rhizomatous plant, much like modern ferns and sphenopsids.
Pronunciation: /-sid/noun& adjective
Definition of Sphenopsida in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan