Definition of Stakhanovite in English:
1A worker in the former Soviet Union who was exceptionally hardworking and productive.
- Artworks created in the period of the revolutionary avant-garde - by the Suprematists Kasimir Malevich and Clement Redko, for example - are hung next to Stalinist kitsch, e.g., ‘Stakhanovites on Stalin's Road’ from Alexander Deineka.
- It recognized tens of thousands of women in retailing as labor heroes: exemplary workers, shock workers, and Stakhanovites.
- The shock worker campaign propagandists latched on to his achievement, and soon the shock workers became known as Stakhanovites.
1.1An exceptionally hardworking or zealous person.
- Given the Stakhanovite imperative at work with the public display of the petition, how many students could conceivably have felt free to express a contrary view in any manner?
- The Scotland striker put in a Stakhanovite shift on Thursday night, working Dnipro's rearguard tirelessly and pulling defenders out of position to create openings for others.
- Moravcik's background gives him an appreciation of a Stakhanovite work ethic.
- Example sentences
- The authors’ analysis suggests that Stakhanovism had no overall impact on economic development, for good or ill.
- The real appeal of Stakhanovism was clearly a material one, for exceptionally high wages and special privileges rewarded workers who exceeded the established production norms.
- Nevertheless, Stakhanovism emerged as a movement based on the virtues of working really hard for really long hours, in exchange for the satisfaction of doing so.
- Example sentences
- The Stakhanovist textile workers get 500 rubles and more, the non-Stakhanovists, 150 rubles or less.
- Along with being the first Stakhanovist of tennis, he had the asset of the intelligent game-play of a mathematician.
- On top of it, the bureaucracy too accelerated the growth of a labor aristocracy by showering the Stakhanovists with gifts and privileges.
Pronunciation: /-vist/noun& adjective
1930s: from the name of Aleksei Grigorevich Stakhanov (1906–77), Russian coal miner.
Definition of Stakhanovite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.