- A member of one of the two principal sects of Jainism, which was formed as a result of doctrinal schism circa ad 80 and survives today in parts of India. Ascetic adherents of the sect traditionally wear white clothing. See also Digambara.More example sentences
- In May, Svetambara and Digambara Jain munis performed pratistha ceremonies installing a murti Mahavira.
- The Svetambaras mainly remained in Gujarat, Kathiavar and parts of Rajasthan and the Digambaras were dominant in the Southern states of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- Literally, the monks of the Digambaras are naked while those of the Svetambaras wear white clothes.
from Sanskrit śvetāmbara, literally 'white-clad'.
More definitions of SvetambaraDefinition of Svetambara in:
- The British & World English dictionary