Definition of Talmud Torah in English:
1The field of study that deals with the Jewish law.
- The curriculum is designed with the understanding that the role of Talmud Torah and Shalhevet is to act as a supplement to a Jewish home and synagogue life.
- The intra-traditional mode of study, ‘Talmud Torah,’ is contrasted with the extra-traditional mode, ‘Jewish Studies.’
- The literature of the Reform Movement understands Talmud Torah, Torah study, to be a mitzvah, a commandment.
1.1A communal school where children are instructed in Judaism.
- Local references in Jewish newspapers over the years to Talmud Torahs were of similar meaning.
- In 1917, the six individual Talmud Torah schools merged as the United Talmud Torahs of Montreal.
- Today I support day schools to achieve the same levels as were achieved in the Talmud Torahs.
Definition of Talmud Torah in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan