Definition of Tejano in English:
noun (plural Tejanos)
1A Mexican-American inhabitant of southern Texas: [as modifier]: the Tejano upper classes
More example sentences
- By 1950, the MBCT had grown and matured due to excellent leadership and its provision of vital ministries for Mexicans and Tejanos in Texas.
- By the 1950s, however, service organizations faced new challenges from increasing numbers of Mexican immigrants, Texas Mexicans, or Tejanos, and a new group, Puerto Ricans.
- Ironically, though, he would eventually be forced to settle in Mexico as a refugee, a consequence of the 1846 exodus of Tejanos from Texas, and a concomitant influx to the area of new Anglo immigrants.
1.1A style of folk or popular music originating among the Tejanos, with elements from Mexican-Spanish vocal traditions and Czech and German dance tunes and rhythms, traditionally played by small groups featuring accordion and guitar.
- His works depict memories of childhood family and friends in a wide variety of activities from dancing to Tejano music to making tamales.
- The singer and musician was the first interpreter of rural popular Tejano and border music to acquire star status through her many recordings.
- To speculate briefly on this exclusion, to ask why polka hasn't gained alongside Tejano increased attention with the hip, upscale consumers of world music is to revisit the relation between race and ethnicity in American life.
American Spanish, alteration of Texano 'Texan'.
Definition of Tejano in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan