Definition of Tewa in English:
noun (plural same or Tewas)
1A member of a Pueblo Indian people of the Rio Grande area in the southwestern US.
- But I have not heard anything yet to persuade me that what they have is superior to what we Tewas and Hopis have.
- After the Tewas drove off a Ute war party, the Hopis allowed the Tewas to form Hano.
- Pojoaque was inhabited by Tewa until a few years ago, when intermarriage with Mexicans and the death of the few full-bloods made it practically a Mexican settlement.
2The Tanoan language of the Tewa. Do not confuse with Tiwa.
- The Hopis speak several dialects of a single language, Hopi, with the exception of the village of Hano, where the members speak Tewa, which is derived from the Azteco-Tanoan linguistic family.
- As Tessie Naranjo from neighboring Santa Clara Pueblo points out in the foreword, ‘A storyteller… is a position, a craft, that is held in high regard among all Tewa community people ’.
- Missus Martinez began to learn to write Tewa in the nineteen sixties when she was fifty-four.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Tewa or their language.
- As dancers performed the Buffalo, Eagle, and Butterfly Dances, Tewa elder Andy Garcia explained their religious significance in his Native American culture.
- Calorie burners Hike the 1/2-mile trail to the Posi ruins, believed to be the first habitats of the ancestors of the local Tewa tribe.
- A Tewa tale has it that Rabbit outwitted Brother Bear, and so won rights to pick the red fruited prickly pears in the bear's West Texas hunting grounds, nearly driving him out.
Definition of Tewa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan