- 2A city in Greece, in Boeotia, northwest of Athens. A major military power in Greece following the defeat of the Spartans at the battle of Leuctra in 371 bc, it was destroyed by Alexander the Great in 336 bc. Greek name Thívai.
- More example sentences
- But if Pindar, during his lifetime, had sold his house to some Theban, do you suppose that Alexander would have torn up the contract of sale and banished the legitimate owner?
- The Greeks united and fought Philip, Spartans fighting alongside Thebans and Athenians at Chaeronea in 338.
- When Antigone is sentenced to death, Haemon warns Creon that many Thebans believe that she should live.
Pronunciation: /ˈTHēbən/adjective & noun
More definitions of ThebesDefinition of Thebes in:
- The British & World English dictionary