Definition of Thysanoptera in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the thrips.
- THE ORDER Thysanoptera, or thrips (pi. and sing.), is comprised of approximately 5,000 known species of small insects with diverse life histories and habits.
- For the other two hemipteroid orders, Thysanoptera and Psocoptera, only partial mtDNA sequences are available.
- For the Insecta, 29 families in 8 orders were identified, with species of Thysanoptera, Coleoptera, and Heteroptera being the most abundant.
1.1 (as plural noun thysanoptera) Insects of the order Thysanoptera; thrips.
- But the scorching weather has also seen the arrival of the irritating heatwave insect, thysanoptera, commonly known as the thunder bug.
- The communities were dominated numerically by Thysanoptera (leaves and stalks) and Acari, but other taxa including Heteroptera and Coleoptera were also relatively common.
- Pollination is insect mediated, the main foragers observed in the field being small Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Diptera, and Thysanoptera.
- Example sentences
- Thrips, as thysanopterans are commonly called, are slender and may be winged or wingless.
- It would not be an exaggeration to describe him as ‘a man for all seasons’ when it comes to his thysanopteran research endeavours.
- Many thysanopterans disperse over short distances or migrate over large areas, and mass flights are observed.
Definition of Thysanoptera in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan