Definition of Thysanura in English:
1An order of insects that comprises the true, or three-pronged, bristletails.
- There are huge gaps in the early fossil record, since several basal hexapod groups have not been found at all in the Paleozoic: Protura, Diplura, and Thysanura.
- The database is being filled by chronological input from Thysanura literature on hand.
- The amber also contains an insect of particularly ancient origin, a bristletail, a member of insect Order Thysanura.
1.1 (as plural noun thysanura) Insects of the order Thysanura; bristletails.
- The Thysanura are widely distributed throughout warmer parts of the world.
- The Thysanura are primitive insects, wingless and with lengthened body that usually live in sheltered places avoiding the direct sunlight.
thysanuran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- For that matter, mayflies are not morphologically so different from thysanurans that we can reject Nardi's suggestion out of hand.
- Domestic species of thysanurans have the potential to cause extensive damage to household goods.
- Molting may continue into adulthood, and there may be more than forty molts in the life of a thysanuran.
Definition of Thysanura in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan