noun (plural Tontons Macoutes pronunc. same)
- A member of a notoriously brutal militia formed by President François Duvalier of Haiti, active from 1961 to 1986.More example sentences
- And sure enough, last week both soldiers and Tonton Macoute were indeed less visible in Port-au-Prince.
- Franck Romain, mayor of Port-au-Prince, a leader of the Tontons Macoutes was accused of directing the attack.
- The funeral singer's father was arrested by the Tonton Macoute.
Haitian French, apparently with reference to an ogre of folk tales.
More definitions of Tonton MacouteDefinition of Tonton Macoute in:
- The British & World English dictionary