- A region that lies to the south of the Caucasus Mountains, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, and that comprises the present-day republics of Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan. It was created as the Transcaucasian Soviet Federated Socialist Republic, a republic of the former Soviet Union, in 1922, but was broken up into its constituent republics in 1936.
- More example sentences
- Well over a million Kurds live in Syria, while Kurdish enclaves in the Transcaucasian republics add up to over a half million.
- The leaders of Transcaucasian countries realize that in the event of a conflict with Iran in the short-term perspective their natural and most powerful ally can only be Russia.
- In developing relations with the Transcaucasian states, it is necessary above all to take into account the geopolitical aspect of these relations.
More definitions of TranscaucasiaDefinition of Transcaucasia in:
- The British & World English dictionary