Definition of Tuesday in English:
- On Tuesday afternoon and evening we found ourselves gasping in horror at those images.
- I contacted an agency on the Tuesday and by the following Monday I had six people here.
- Police said the car was stolen some time on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning.
adverbchiefly North American Back to top
- Then Tuesday he's in London for a conference, but he should be home in the evening.
- They stated they would return the following Tuesday to complete the work on her roof.
The ancient Germanic god Tiw is the source of Tuesday. When Germanic peoples came into contact with the Romans they realized that their god Tiw was similar to Mars, the Roman god of war whose day was the third of the week (and who appears in forms such as the French Mardi), and started to call that day ‘Tiw's day’ or Tuesday. Other days of the week were formed in a similar way, with Wednesday being Woden's day, Thursday Thor's day, and Friday Freya's day; Woden or Odin was the supreme god of the German and Scandinavian peoples, Thor the god of thunder, and Freya or Frigga the goddess of love and fertility.
Words that rhyme with Tuesdaynoonday
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.