- 1A native or inhabitant of Turkey, or a person of Turkish descent.More example sentences
- The Turks, the Turkish government will strongly oppose that.
- Turkey and Turks have an historical responsibility for region and us.
- The shared part of the Armenian diet is the Mediterranean foods widely familiar among Arabs, Turks, Greeks.
- 2 • historical A member of any of the ancient central Asian peoples who spoke Turkic languages, including the Seljuks and Ottomans.More example sentences
- The history of rise and decay repeated itself after the Osmanli Turks appeared on the scene.
- The Field of Blackbirds marked the spot where Serbs and Ottoman Turks had fought themselves to a bloody standstill in the 14th century.
- In 1526, a young Hungarian king fell in a battle with the Ottoman Turks.
- 3 • archaic A member of the ruling Muslim population of the Ottoman Empire.More example sentences
- In 1396, the Bulgarians were conquered by the Ottoman Turks, a Muslim people.
- The Druze had been fighting the ruling Ottoman Turks for two hundred years.
late Middle English: via Old French from Turkish türk.
More definitions of TurkDefinition of Turk in:
- The British & World English dictionary