noun (plural same or Twis)
- 1A member of an Akan-speaking people of Ghana.More example sentences
- Does anyone know of any other Niger-Congo languages up on that northerly coast that are like this, contrasting with the better-known Twis and Mendes and Igbos?
- This dance is popular among the Twi, the Fante (who call it Adzewa), and the Ga.
- 2 another term for Akan (the language).More example sentences
- They constitute the largest ethnic group in Ghana, with Twi being the most commonly spoken language.
- Though Twi is widely spoken throughout the country, not every ethnic group in Ghana speaks it as their first language.
- These members felt that the use of Twi unfairly privileged the Ashanti ethnic group over others.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the Twi or their language.More example sentences
- Eventually a compromise was reached: have both an English and Twi service, with the English service as the main evangelism arm of the church.
- By 1997 however, a mere five years later, the church had an English and Twi service.
- According to this custom, a child born on Tuesday, whose parents speak the Twi language, would have a name derived from Benada, the Twi word for Tuesday.
the name in Akan.
More definitions of TwiDefinition of Twi in:
- The British & World English dictionary