Definition of Uniate in English:
Relating to any community of Christians in eastern Europe or the Near East that acknowledges papal supremacy but retains its own liturgy: the Uniate churches
More example sentences
- About 80% of Iraqi Christians are Chaldeans or Uniate Catholics.
- News of the Uniate church's move first came in June, when Catholic Cardinal Walter Kasper visited Moscow and said that it had been the deathbed wish of Pope John Paul II, who died in April.
- Over the centuries, schisms occurred in which the seceders switched allegiance to Rome, forming the Uniate churches.
nounBack to top
A member of a Uniate community.
- Like the Eastern churches, the Uniates also allow priests to marry (though monks and bishops must remain celibate).
- There are a small number of Uniates, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists, Pentecostalists, Armenian Apostolics, and Molokans.
- A group of Assyrians in Cyprus and Iraq broke from Nestorian doctrine in the 1400s and became Uniates, one of a number of Eastern churches admitted into communion with Rome.
Words that rhyme with Uniateopiate
Definition of Uniate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.