- Each of two regions of intense radiation partly surrounding the earth at heights of several thousand kilometers.More example sentences
- However, it could also be due to a trapped-particle belt around the star - much like the Van Allen belts surrounding the Earth - or even a disk of debris orbiting the star.
- Radiation from the Van Allen belt would kill any astronaut that spent enough time there.
- The invisible Van Allen belts that circle Earth in a region known as the magnetosphere trap much of this radiation and serve as an umbrella that protects people in low Earth orbit or below.
More definitions of Van Allen beltDefinition of Van Allen belt in:
- The British & World English dictionary