Definition of Vandyke in English:
2 (also Vandyke beard) A neat, pointed beard.
- He had a mustache and a Vandyke beard, and he often wore a high collar with a plain white bow tie.
- He sports a Vandyke beard and flashes a mischievous grin that gives him the look of a swashbuckler, though he's more adept with a torque wrench than a rapier.
- His long, flowing locks framed a handsome face, and his neatly trimmed Vandyke beard and mustache were familiar from the image on many coins and from portraits.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
Denoting a style of garment or decorative design associated with the portraits of Van Dyck: a Vandyke handkerchief
More example sentences
- Lady Charlotte sat for the artist-wearing a Vandyke dress of white satin.
- The Little Lord Fauntleroy consisted of a velvet jacket and matching knickerbockers with contrasting trim and a Vandyke collar and cuffs.
Definition of Vandyke in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan