Definition of Venus's girdle in English:
A large, almost transparent comb jelly with a flattened ribbonlike body, living chiefly in warmer seas.
- Genus Cestum, phylum Ctenophora
- Many comb jellies are round, like small grapes, but the Venus's girdle is very long and flat, and looks like a belt.
- He was mesmerized by a Venus's girdle, a diaphanous bit of jelly sparking tiny rainbows amid its vibrating rows of cilia.
- Approximately 2 to 5 inches wide, warty comb jellies range from Florida through the West Indies and are also known as sea gooseberries or Venus's girdles.
Definition of Venus's girdle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.