(also Venus's flytrap)
A small carnivorous bog plant with hinged leaves that spring shut on and digest insects that land on them. Native to the southeastern US, it is also kept as an indoor plant.
- Dionaea muscipula, family Droseraceae
More example sentences
- Further, some plants (sundews, Venus flytrap, pitcher plants) trap mobile animals.
- In desperation he travelled to Germany to ‘receive an experimental drug made from the juices of the Venus flytrap plant’.
- Mahadevan likened the Venus flytrap's hinged leaves to a plastic lid that is bowed in one direction and then suddenly pops the other way.
Definition of Venus flytrap in:
- The British & World English dictionary