noun (plural same)
- A member of a communist-dominated nationalist movement, formed in 1941, that fought for Vietnamese independence from French rule. Members of the Vietminh later joined with the Vietcong.More example sentences
- The communists in Vietnam had formed an effective anti-Japanese resistance movement, the Vietminh, which was strongest in the north, where it had the advantage of a base in China.
- These men were motivated by different factors from those that influenced the volunteers of 1914, or the ideologically charged soldiers of the Vietminh and Vietcong in the 1950s and 1960s.
- The decisive battle of the war developed in the spring of 1954 as the Vietminh attacked the French fortress of Dien Bien Phu in northern Vietnam.
from Vietnamese Viet-Nam Dôc-Lâp Dông-Minh 'Vietnamese Independence League'.
More definitions of VietminhDefinition of Vietminh in:
- The British & World English dictionary