Definition of Vlach in English:
A member of the indigenous population of Romania and Moldova, claiming descent from the inhabitants of the Roman province of Dacia.
- Here, living side by side, are Turks, Greeks, Gypsies, Albanians, Jews, Vlachs, Serbs, as well as the Macedonians who form the greater part of the population.
- Turks, Slavs, Albanians, Greeks, Vlachs, Jews, and Roma often lived together in multiethnic communities.
- The majority of the country's population of 3,360,000 consists of Albanians in addition to assorted minorities: Greeks, Bulgarians, Gypsies, Macedonians, Serbs, Jews, and Vlachs.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Vlach.
- Many, perhaps most, of these troops from the frontier were Orthodox Vlach or Serb immigrants from Ottoman-ruled Bosnia.
- I'll admit to some prejudice on this topic, since my grandparents were ethnic Vlach immigrants from southeastern Albania.
Definition of Vlach in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India