- An artificial language devised in 1879 and proposed for international use by a German cleric, Johann M. Schleyer, and based on extremely modified forms of words from English and Romance languages.More example sentences
- To help us understand the mechanisms through which new codes originate, grow and thrive, he examines the history of two natural languages that developed through an open source mechanism: Volapük and Esperanto.
- A description of the language was published in 1880, and hundreds of Volapük societies soon grew up.
- Because Volapük was forgotten, it unites us in a way that a real international language never could.
from vol representing English world + -a- (as a connective) + pük representing English speak or speech.
More definitions of VolapükDefinition of Volapük in:
- The British & World English dictionary