- 2 (also vulcanian) Geology Relating to or denoting a type of volcanic eruption marked by periodic explosive events.[ early 20th century: from Vulcano, the name of a volcano in the Lipari Islands, Italy, + -ian]More example sentences
- Santiaguito, which formed 20 years after the major eruption of Santa María Volcano in 1902, has had virtually constant explosive Vulcanian eruptions that can be easily observed from a distance of only 1 km.
- The August-September 2003 small Vulcanian eruption of Nevados de Chillán volcano has been the first eruption since 1986.
- After a week of intense Vulcanian activity, Shiveluch's activity has decreased again on 28 December 2006, but new explosions can be expected any time.
More definitions of VulcanianDefinition of Vulcanian in:
- The British & World English dictionary