- Relating to a small family of almost extinct American Indian languages of the northern Pacific coast, including Kwakiutl and Nootka.More example sentences
- The Salishan and Wakashan languages are the favorite candidates for languages lacking the noun/verb contrast, but there have been several other proposals.
nounBack to top
- The Wakashan family of languages.More example sentences
- The ‘keepers of the language’ should be the language family - Algonquin, Athapaskan, Eskimo-Aleut, Haida, Iroquoian, Hutenai, Salishan, Siouan, Tlingit, Wakashan.
formed by Captain Cook from Nootka wakash 'bravo!' + -an.
More definitions of WakashanDefinition of Wakashan in:
- The British & World English dictionary