A large mottled gray seal with a small head, ranging farther south than any other seal and breeding on the fast ice of Antarctica.
- Leptonychotes weddelli, family Phocidae
More example sentences
- Pressure chamber tests on Weddell seals and northern elephant seals, and on the excised lungs of bottlenose dolphins show similar patterns of progressive collapse of the airways with exposure to increased pressure.
- Undersea images recorded by Weddell seals in Antarctica showed that the seals have surprisingly individual foraging habits.
- Hence the testes of Weddell seals, like those of other seals and cetaceans, are internalized, lying between the abdominal muscles and the thick insulating blubber layer.
early 20th century: named after James Weddell (see Weddell Sea).
Definition of Weddell seal in:
- The British & World English dictionary