noun[usually as modifier] Geology
1The final Pleistocene glaciation in northern Europe.
More example sentences
- Skjaldbreithur and the vast lava field which surrounds it were formed some nine to ten thousand years ago, after the retreat of the last great ice-age glacier (Weichsel).
1930s: from the German name of the Vistula River in Poland.
- More example sentences
- The succession is finally discordantly overlain by tills and melt water deposits of Late Weichselian age.
- Maximum extent of the Eurasian ice sheets in the Barents and Kara Sea region during the Weichselian.
- Stratigraphy and sedimentology of the Weichselian deposits in the southern part of the Lower Vistula region, northern Poland - new data and interpretations
Pronunciation: /vīkˈsilēən/adjective & noun
More definitions of WeichselDefinition of Weichsel in:
- The British & World English dictionary