- another term for Pentecost ( sense 1).More example sentences
- These days, the equivalent dates in Scotland are Martinmas, Candlemas, Whitsunday and Lammas.
- On Whitsunday all Kilton crowded behind us into the little chapel and saw the wooden statues wearing real mantles of bright wool for the day.
- Trouble started, in both Cornwall and Devon, when priests tried to introduce the new Prayer Book on Whitsunday.
late Old English Hwīta Sunnandǣg, literally 'white Sunday', probably with reference to the white robes of those newly baptized at Pentecost.
More definitions of WhitsundayDefinition of Whitsunday in:
- The British & World English dictionary